Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Just to sum up the weekend...

Friday night's Oral English class went pretty well. I just wish it
wasn't Friday night. I will start playing movies on Friday nights
instead. I'm looking for a tutor job so I can rebuy another camera...

I remembered St. Patty's Day...I even told my students about it!
Hehe. And then, of course, I forgot to wear green...but remembered
just in time to go to dinner and changed....On Saturday, Matthew (the
other American foreign teacher), Jerry and I went to Carrefour (some
French supermarket) and bought a toaster oven!!!! Then we preceeded to
have dinner with Matthew's friend, Stephen. He's a job recruiter for ESL teachers in China. Anyways, he wanted to meet us and see where we wanted to be placed,
etc.

Sunday, Jerry and I went to Walmart, Wangfujing--a rather upscale
shopping area (specifically to go to the two bookstores...one is for
Chinese people and one is the foreign language one...and all are at
least 4 stories!!). I got some classics as they were cheaper in price,
Alice in Wonderland, Persuasion and poems of Emiliy Dickinson. I
couldn't remember Anne Perry at the time--but will find next time.
Prices are considered exorbitant for Beijing standards...but not any
more than what it would cost in the states.Then went to the Kerry
Center (its within the Chinese business district center--CBD) and got
some tequila (95 yuan for a bottle!), salsa and vanilla extract! They had some other American breakfast goodies like Florida Made orange juice and Sunny Select
frozen waffles...but I wonder how long they had been on thes
shelf....and the prices were outrageous! $8 for orange juice and $5
for Sunny Select frozen waffles? I wish I could find the rest of the
ingredients to pancakes...know how to make french toast now..finally!

the fondue heart kit that Amy gave me...I think I used too
many candles and it cracked! :( But oh so good...were the bananas and
strawberries dipped in chocolate! I guess I could just melt the
chocolate with the toaster oven and put the chips in there...defeats
the purpose though...and hope the sauce doesn't leak through.. :(

And the highlight of the weekend...we had Mexican night with out new
toaster (Matthew and I split the cost--669 yuan/2) oven! Matthew's
aunt recently came to China and delivered some cheese, tortillas,
enchilada sauces and other goodies to Matthew! So he made chicken
enchiladas and I made chicken tacos! Refried beans, taco rice, salsa,
tomatoes, onions, lettuce...and blended raspberry margaritas!! It was
fun...not sure if Jerry or Lin (Matthew's wife) were accustomed to it though...Hehe. Especially the cheese...


There's good to everything...if not just a learning experience.
Buddha says that our attitudes are like the filters that we put on the perspective lenses of our lives. The question is...how do we change these filters?

Jacin the turtle came back yesterday...he seems bigger...

OH, the school gave us a new bedframe, headboard and this pseudo
mattress that is as hard as a table! I haven't slept well since and
spent a lot of money trying to get extra padding...but it doesn't help
much... :( I even slept on the couch a few times. We got a new
computer desk though! :) I use the old student desks they gave us
before to use as desks for my jewelry table!

I got "Sex and the City" and wonder if it would work for Christina...I
have started to watch it in order...hehe...Carrie just met Mr. Big...!
:)

No comments: