Tuesday, February 20, 2007

A tale of three houses...three meals...three families...

Happy Chinese New Years! Year of the Pink! *Oink! Oink!*

Ok...so the year that I spend in China...my mom's family decides to come to California! My grandma, Uncle Ken, Uncle Chun, Aunt Gloria and Aunt Xiao You...just an uncle in not here! And a whole load of cousins...

Day 1: At my uncle Ken's house...

We bowed three times to the "ancestral tablet" that was made out of red construction paper with the Lin family name inscribed with a Sharpie marker...I couldn't help but laugh. Bad me. ;(

There was the traditional chicken, fish and oranges in the center of the table. Along with the feast was the traditional pig ears, tofu and egg...which half I didn't eat. Then there was shrimp, sashimi, jiao zi, ribs, fishbowl soup, tofu, noodles...

While the "Chinese people" played Mahjong...my cousins turned the game of UNO into a gambling game...how the heck do you gamble with UNO? While my sister, stepdad Jim and I played Scrabble. Do you see the cultural division?!? Haha.

The highlight of the evening was perhaps my ice cream sundae from Baskin Robbins that I treated Jim and myself to...from my red envelope money! ;)

My sister's boyfriend brought fireworks...but we were afraid that they would attract the cops! :(

Day Two: My Mom's House

Your typical American fourth of July meal! Chips, veggie tray, bbq, potato salad (I messed up and addded vinegar when I made it), pies, noodles and baked salmon. Yum! ;)
After eating, I was so sleepy....

Day Three: My Aunt's House/Beading day

I didn't go to my aunt's in Pleasanton. (Turns out there was drama there anyways) I hung out with my sister and friend Amy instead. I ate too many fruits fondue and cheese and crackers. We were supposed to bead...and we went to the bead store...but were too busy eating. Haha.

Afterwards, I continued with my strange goal to clean my junk in the garage...

Monterey on Saturday!! :-)

2 comments:

Christina said...

>< where did the fireworks go? what drama happened at our aunt's place?

Adam Levy said...

新年快乐!!!
还有。。。生日快乐!!