Friday, May 18, 2007

The latest and greatest...

On Wednesday, I went to a National Debate for China's University Students. Two students from our school...including one of my students were participants in the debate. The hardest part is that its for students who speak English as a foreign language and had to debate in English! We watched the semi-finals and final round so I was not able to get a full view of all the competitions as a whole. But the four remaining universities were very eloquent and some having study abroad experience which placed students who have not yet had the chance at a disadvantage. Lunch that was offered for the audience was terrible so some of the students and I opted to eat at one of the local restaurants. BAD IDEA! Who knows how long the food has been out there or how clean it was? Needless to say, I have been suffering from stomach issues the past few days!

The topics were topics that were important to China. Such as: Should
the YuanMingYuan be rebuilt (its an old palace garden building that
was burned down 150 years ago and only two columns exist), should
children of migrant workers be given access to public education in
city schools and for the deciding of the winners: should English be an
official language of China? Very delightful debates and I learned to
see different viewpoints as well.

It was poorly organized in terms of timing and food! We (some
of the students and I) found a restaurant to eat something and had
some yucky food. I've been suffering from a stomachache all day. :(
And sleeping all day. Guess I am suffering from dehydration and
diarrhea? :( I heard that some students also have the same problems.
Maybe its from the food?

I have a new table that I use for eating/beading/studying! I love it! :)

This week's topic in class is: Cars Versus City (Should China encourage private cars?)
Jacin,Jr. and Lucky Jade (turtles) are sleeping next to each other on the balcony! So cute!

No comments: